Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Prem Dan

Okay, hope all you folks are doing well. It was a hot one in Kolkata today, must have been in the 110's somewhere, add a little humidity and this equals a whole lot of sweat!!! Add this with a bus ride packed to the gills with people. Yeah it gets a little uncomfortable. Luckily, I always stand on the steps of the bus and hang out the door to catch a little fresh air. The buses are pretty interesting. They are split (left side for women, right side for men) Men will sometimes sit on the woman's side, but if a woman gets on the bus they have to give up their sit immediately. So, I have been getting a little frustrated here. Too many cheaters....you really need to know whats happening or you will end up overpaying for everything. I have been riding the bus for the same price now for the past two weeks, and also rode it last year many many times. Still people will always try and charge you way more, so you have to argue....noo brother its 4 ruppees not 6. Knowing a little bengali always helps win an argument too, I have gotten pretty use to this process, but sometimes when your hot (really hot) all you want to do is just sit down on the bus...This is life here, nothing is at a flat rate. Everything is up in the air, if you want something to happen you can probably make it happen. Life having 7 people ride in a 4 passenger autorickshaw. So this was just a little tangent.....

So I work at Prem Dan, its the home for senior men and women and also men and women who suffer from mental/physical disabilities. It is different then Khalighat, it is not a home for the destitute. There is some hope at Prem Dan, but never would it be a place that I'd ever want to end up...The men their have a nice outdoor courtyard. They spend most of their day outside, sitting around, drinking chai. Theirs some great big palm trees out their, as well as several big bird cages filled with all different kinds of parrots. I served at Prem Dan last year and had to go back this year. Most of the men I worked with last time are still there. Some are gone, whether they have passed or have been released I am not sure. Names can be difficult at this place because some men just don't have them. At Prem Dan, I wash a lot of laundry and wash the floor everday. this takes about 31/2 hours. It is the most manual labor out of any of the houses. What I like best though is that washing the floor involves just throwing buckets of water...so nothing is better then getting soaking wet in 110 degree heat. Well to give you a little shock and awe! A man came into Prem Dan yesterday with an ear problem. The problem was that he had maggots in his ear, actually burrowed in his head. I watched the sister pull out some of the maggots. Yeah.....thats all I have to say about that. Theirs a lot of injuries their like that. I really enjoy working their, the men are great. My sandal broke today and they stitched it up for me. Good as new.

This is a good example of how India works...one giant dichotomy. Always polar opposites of each other. The city is fast and aggressive, yet people are slow. Conversations can easily last an hour. Their are so many contradictions that play out here. Its hard to grasp how it all makes sense sometimes. I am sad to say goodbye to this place again...Its difficult to describe and that's where I will leave you....

Derek
PS I had a poop filled day between the old men at prem dan, the street, and especially the kids at daya dan....lots of poop!

4 comments:

  1. Derek,
    Yuck, thanks for the visual on the maggots...I can't wait to hear my father's response to your blog. Sounds like you had a pretty stinky day! All kidding aside. Keep up the wonderful work and the difficult moments you are all enduring. Keeping good thoughts for all of you to stay strong and healthy. OX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek-

    I found this post very humorous and extremely true. Actually made me laugh outloud! It's so true- despite all the troubles of living in Kolkata, it's a very funny and unique place. You are always bargaining for things, you are always smelling something funky and you may up bringing a wooden instrument toy back home with maggots growing out of it weeks later (yup! that happened to me. Didn't cause much issues since we found out right as they started growing, but be careful what you guys bring back.) but these things are what makes Kolkata the “city of joy”. You gotta love it! haha Sounds like you are having a great time being back! Anyways...Keep up the good work and enjoy the rest your week there! Thanks for taking me back to the craziness of Kolkata for a few minutes today- it really made me smile!

    Proud of you all!!

    ~Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Derek!
    Oh my goodness...I am amazed at what you all are seeing, experiencing, and doing. (So grossed out by the maggots!) I think to myself, could I have done that even when I was younger? I don't think so. And to be experiencing such a different culture... and to help people whose lives are so very different from ours. And how wonderful the impact you all are having on these people... and how much you are helping them. You are making the world seem so much smaller... and thank you for giving us all a glimpse of a wonderful part of the world that most of us will never see. And thank you for doing what you are doing! Stay well...stay safe....and love to all! (I must be honest...CAN'T WAIT FOR JUNE 8th!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Derek...I can just picture you washing floors, cleaning poop and longing for an uneventful bus ride! Hey have you found anyone to walk to prem dan with in the morning. It really is an experience worth having before you leave! Thanks for your posts on this blog. Miss you and can't wait to catch up.

    ReplyDelete